Thursday, May 5, 2011

I've been on tumblr for too long.

I feel like I've forgotten how to write a proper blog entry. I'm so used to gifs and caps lock expressing my feelings, so I go to use my words and I'm like... WAT? Yes. My point exactly.

I'm not sure what this is for, exactly. About a year ago I started a blog with the intention of talking about my journey into art college, because at the time I was in a rut and having a difficult time actually psyching myself up for putting my portfolio together. That sort of died, though, because it seemed like all of my entries would be melodramatic laments about my brain not working properly, so... here I am again, I guess. Inspired, finished my first year of art college, and a lot more positive (not at the moment, though, because I'm sick and have been bundled up in bed all day, which does not a positive Ace make). I'm excited about the things I'm doing, and the things I plan to do. This, of course, is all thanks to having awesome friends.

So I guess this blog is going to be a blog about progress (god, say blog some more, jeez). I want to talk about the work I'm doing, with writing, illustration, and even with my band. (I say band, of course, but we need a drummer, and so far everybody has flaked out. We've got some pretty boss songs on the go, though!)

I have a couple of novels on the table, and I've vowed not to forget about them. One day, when Flurry - my best friend, whom I'm going to California to visit in ELEVEN DAYS! - is finished school and I've got some kind of arts degree, we're going to get a place together and finish the zillions of storylines we've come up with over the years and publish novels for the rest of our lives. That's it. As a bonus career, I've already got plans to illustrate (and in some cases, help write) stories with my long-lost older brother Jack, as well.

These things kind of sound like crazy dreams. I like thinking about them as definite plans, though - because they're not crazy; they're what I absolutely, positively want to do with the rest of my life, and as long as I'm sure of that, I know it can happen. It will happen. I've seen it happen for so many of the people I admire, who are all doing great things because they believed they could.

Today I started reading the part of Jack's manuscript that I'm going to try and illustrate. We were discussing the characters' appearances over text earlier, and aside from the fact that my head cold seems to have killed my ability to draw for the time being, I'm really excited to build on this. I'm excited to see how much I'll learn from this, and how much I'll improve. I'm already way better at this than I was six months ago.

Writing like this already feels good. I can't wait to see where this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment